Last Updated on November 23, 2021
This post may contain affiliate links. That means if you click and make a purchase I may earn a small commission (at no cost to you). Please see my disclosure policy for more details.
You might be thinking why make a DIY gumball machine? I think pretty much everyone has seen those adorable Target gumball machines since they kind of blew up social media, but I know that so many people weren’t able to snag one for themselves. They never even made it to my Target and after seeing all the adorable makeovers people were giving them, I was so jealous!
After searching and searching, I finally decided if I can’t find one, I’ll DIY one so I can join in on all the fun! Today I’m sharing my DIY gumball machine tutorial so y’all can make one for your home too!
DIY Target Gumball Machine Supplies
This DIY Target Gumball Machine is a simple and easy craft and the list of supplies is short and affordable! Here is what I used to make my mini gumball machine:
- Small Tin Bucket
- Curved Jar with Lid
- Make sure the bottom of the jar fits inside your bucket when it’s flipped over
- Small Wooden Ball Knob
- Chalk Paint
- Pick your favorite color to make this DIY the perfect fit for your home
- Clear Chalk Paint Sealer
- This part is optional and I actually ended up not using it on mine project, but is great for extra protection!
- Super Glue
I purchased all of my supplies from Hobby Lobby & Walmart, but here are similar items you can snag from Amazon!
Creating Your DIY Target Gumball Machine
Step One: The Base
For the base of your gumball machine you’ll need your tin bucket and chalk paint in the color of your choice. Here are the steps I followed to create the base of my DIY Target gumball machine:
- If your tin bucket has a handle start by removing it, if not you can start with Number 2
- Paint the outside of your bucket with chalk paint including the bottom
- I recommend using two coats to get full coverage
- If you want to seal your base, wait for your chalk paint to dry and apply sealer
Step Two: The Glass Container Lid
While your base dries follow these steps to create the lid for the glass container:
- Paint the lid of the jar with chalk paint. I recommend two coats of paint for full coverage
- While the lid is drying paint two coats of chalk paint on the small wooden knob
- Once your lid and wooden knob are fully dry glue the knob in the center of the lid
- I used a hot glue gun, but super glue also works great!
Step Three: Putting it All Together
After everything is dry it’s time to put it all together to create your DIY Target gumball machine!
- Flip your bucket over on a flat surface so the bottom is facing up
- Add super glue to the bottom of your jar and place on top of your bucket. Add a little pressure to make sure the jar is in place and connected to the bucket
- Let the glue dry for about 30 minutes before checking that the bucket and jar are bonded together
Step Four: Add the Finishing Touches
Now that you have your completed mini gumball machine, it’s time for all those fun finishing touches! I added a twine ribbon for a little extra farmhouse style and filled with green package stuffing and carrots for Easter. I recommend not gluing down any of these extras so you can easily swap them out depending on the season or holiday!
Here are a few ideas of things to fill your DIY Target gumball machine with for different holidays or seasons. I recommend using faux mini decor pieces for pretty much everything except candies, but feel free to use the real thing if you prefer!
- Decorated eggs
- Lemon slices
- Mini strawberries
- Embellished acorns
- Candy Corn
- Marshmallows with snowmen faces
- Other Themes:
- Mini foods and sweets (donuts, cookies)
What’s Next for Your DIY Target Gumball Machine?
Now that your adorable new decor piece is finished you have something you can use in your home year-round! I already can’t wait to decorate my mini gumball machine for the next holiday.
If you were lucky enough to snag the mini gumball machine from Target, but still want to spruce it up check out Morning’s on Macedonia’s Gumball Machine Refresh!
If you try my DIY Target Gumball Machine project, I’d love to see how it turned out! Tag me on instagram or drop a picture in the comments for chance to be featured on my page! As always, don’t hesitate to reach out with any questions or if you just want to say hi!